Once a student has successfully taken at least THREE Silicon STEM Academy courses in TWO or more STEM categories* (Coding, Engineering or Digital Media), rather than pursuing a specific track (we offer tracks in Computer Programming, Maker Engineering, Digital Media and Game Design) they are eligible to submit an application to participate in our most prestigious STEM program: Silicon STEM Academy STEM Stars.
Students will learn microcontroller design and then design their own microcontroller-based project using the Adafruit Feather ecosystem. They will then develop the code, hardware, software, and mechanical components and necessary skill sets with the guidance of the instructors. Finally, each student will create a custom website--or Digital Portfolio-- where they can display all of their interests, abilities and evidence of their STEM accomplishments. Its goal is to show the student’s growth, proficiencies and depth of abilities. This is a site where students can compile their body of work over the coming years.
• Class meets 2x/week for 3 hours/week (plus optional 30 minutes 'office hours' after each session); 16 contact hours per month with our professional instructors and industry experts.
• Students will submit an application followed by an interview with the instructor to determine if the student is ready for STEM Stars at this time.
• As this is an independently-driven course of our top performing students, they are expected to behave maturely, utilize equipment in appropriate and safe manner, and be prepared to problem solve and self-motivate.
HOW TO SIGN UP TO BE A STEM STAR:
You must have completed at least 3 Silicon STEM courses, including Coding 101.
- Participation in periodic professional guest lectures by engineers, programmers, scientist and professionals in STEM care
- Access to Silicon STEM’s facility as a personal workspace, including access to computers, software, tools, 3D printers and instructors (based upon availability and SSA schedule)
- Coding Invitationals – participation in Coding Invitationals planned for Q1’2018
- STEM Stars students may be considered for our internship program (must be 15+).
Skill Level: Intermediate - Advanced
Prerequisite: Coding 101
Software Focus: Arduino and other languages, depending of the student's focus.
Price: $250 per month, 3 month commitment required. Additional cost of materials and lab fees may apply.
Contact us for information on when the next STEM Stars Courses will be available for registration.