Once a student has successfully taken at least THREE Silicon STEM Academy courses in TWO or more STEM categories* (Coding, Engineering or Digital Media), rather than pursuing a specific track (we offer tracks in Computer Programming, Maker Engineering, Digital Media and Game Design) they are eligible to submit an application to participate in our most prestigious STEM program: Silicon STEM Academy STEM Stars.
The project involves 'hacking' an every day object to animate it, then the 'Alexa' IDE will be downloaded to a Raspberry Pi and STEM Stars students will edit the code to enhance its functionality. Finally, each student will create a custom website--or Digital Portfolio-- where they can display all of their interests, abilities and evidence of their STEM accomplishments. Its goal is to show the student’s growth, proficiencies and depth of abilities. This is a site where students can compile their body of work over the coming years.
• Class meets 2x/week for 3 hours/week (plus optional 30 minutes 'office hours' after each session); 16 contact hours per month with our professional instructors and industry experts.
HOW TO SIGN UP TO BE A STEM STAR:
You must have completed at least 3 Silicon STEM courses, including Coding 101.
- Participation in periodic professional guest lectures by engineers, programmers, scientist and professionals in STEM care
- Access to Silicon STEM’s facility as a personal workspace, including access to computers, software, tools, 3D printers and instructors (based upon availability and SSA schedule)
- Coding Invitationals – participation in Coding Invitationals planned for Q1’2018
- STEM Stars students may be considered for our internship program (must be 15+).
Skill Level: Intermediate - Advanced
Prerequisite: Coding 101
Software Focus: Arduino and other languages, depending of the student's focus.
Price: $250 per month, 3 month commitment required. Additional cost of materials and lab fees may apply.